Pipe Pig Facts
Pipe pigs have two main functions; firstly, helping to ensure that any potentially damaging substances are removed from the pipeline to ensure continuous operation, and secondly, helping to maximize the efficiency of the pipeline by removing any debris in the pipeline to prevent buildup that restricts flow. When pipe pigs were first put into use, their main function was to remove large wax or dirt deposits in order to ensure proper flow. Today, pipe pigs are required during each phase of the life of a pipeline.
Pipe Pigs & Pigging Applications
Pipe pigs have many different functions, including:
- during construction - for removing construction debris from pipelines, acceptance testing (for dewatering, drying and gauging and during commissioning.
- during operation - pipeline pigs can help improve flow efficiency, remove liquid or solid debris, separate products for batching, applying chemicals, and cleaning in preparation for an ILI run.
- during inspection - to identify dents or deformations, detect features of metal loss, recording temperature and pressure, detecting leaks, measuring wax deposition, as well as product sampling and mapping.
- during renovation or rehabilitation - pipe pigs are used to apply coating, perform chemical cleaning and cleaning for product conversion.
- during decommissioning - pipe pigs are used for product removal, pipe-wall cleaning, inspection, testing and to inert gas or purge pipelines.
When applying pipe pigs, it is important to remember the specific differences between pipelines. Every pipeline has a different wall thickness and diameter. It carries different flow rates, temperatures, pressures, products areas of operation and distances. Pipelines are designed by contractors who work according to their own requirements and codes. Additionally, every company who owns a pipeline, also has their own philosophy regarding operating procedures. When choosing pipe pigs, the goal should bear in mind the characteristics of the pipeline.
Drinkwater Products Offers Premium Pipe Pigs & Pipeline Solutions
Drinkwater Products is recognized as an industry leader when it comes to pipeline maintenance, and has a track record of over 25 years of success. The company specializes in pipe pigs as well as corrosion measurement.
Advantages of working with Drinkwater Products:
- top quality products backed by a lifetime of quality customer care;
- a wide range of pipe pigs and accessories from some of the biggest manufacturers;
- sizable inventory to ensure clients find the ideal pipe pigs;
Drinkwater Products offers a variety of pipe pigs and related products, including:
- foam pigs
- steel pigs
- cast-urethane pigs
- electromagnetic transmitters and receivers
- intrusive and non-intrusive pig detectors
The company's services include custom designed pigs, maintenance pigging strategies, and step-up pigging plans. Get in touch with Drinkwater Products for all your pipeline pigs, accessories and services.